The Voice of Reason vs. The Control Freak - The Difference
I often see people who have fancy themselves the voice of reason in online communities where they're really just being overly-controlling, or claim that characters with overly-controlling tendencies are just the voice of reason in their settings. So, here's a quick overview of the difference - because seriously, unrecognized control freaking is the source far too many problems.
The Voice of Reason
- Points out where actions could have negative consequences, and tries to discourage people from doing things that could be harmful.
- Is unbothered by things that simply aren't to own personal taste.
- Understands that sometimes, people have to make their own mistakes so they can learn from them.
- Offers advice, but doesn't try to force it onto others. Respects people when they don't want to take it.
- Treats others as thinking, independent beings who need freedom to learn, explore, and grow.
- Offers advice and help with sympathy and compassion.
- Is happy to let others be themselves.
- Accepts that people usually know what they want and what's best for themselves.
The Control Freak
- Tries to get people to stop doing or liking things that aren't to own personal taste, even though they don't harm or endanger anyone.
- Feels and displays contempt or disgust at anything that isn't to own personal taste.
- Constantly tries to "protect" people from making mistakes.
- Gives advice whether or not it's wanted. Acts offended or insulted when others don't want to take it.
- Treats others as miscreants or incompetents that need constantly minded.
- Thinks it's an unfortunate job, but somebody's got to do it.
- Is unhappy unless everyone is in line.
- Believes that those who refuse to comply just don't know what they want or what's best for themselves.