If certain animal rights people are to be believed, eating meat and dairy will turn us all into psychotic, diabetic, quivering masses of fat and tumors doomed to die of heart attacks. Going back to our natural roots of vegetarianism will result in a world of sunshine and rainbows and nobody will ever have to suffer from our horrible modern diseases and everyone will have enough food. And a ton of other problems will magically evaporate, too. Wearing synthetic fur and leather will save countless bunnie-wunnies. And we know that everyone who raises meat or fur does it in the cruelest possible way because PeTA has the videos that prove it.
Is it really so? Let's take a look at the other side of the story.
Also, if you are interested in nutrition and have a lot of time on your hands (enough to read a whole book), I recommend reading An Ode To "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes.
Ethics & Horror Stories
- CLAIM: We shouldn't eat animals; it's wrong.
- CLAIM: Certain procedures farmers use are inhumane and unnecessary
Environment & Science
- CLAIM: A vegan lifestyle is better for the environment and will contribute to ending world hunger.
- CLAIM: The need for animals in research is little to none.
Health & Diet
- CLAIM: Veg*n diets are always superior to omnivorous diets/everyone can adapt to a veg*n diet.
- CLAIM: Soy is a natural and healthy source of protein.
- CLAIM: Eating meat is not natural/Humans are natural herbivores.
- CLAIM: Meat and saturated fats are bad for us.
- PeTA's Skullduggery
- Veg*n Killers (Yep, turns out they're as loony as everyone else after all.)